Do you know how transformers work?
Transformers and Energy Quiz
0 of 12 Questions completed
You have already completed this quiz. You cannot start it again.
Quiz is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this quiz.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 12 Questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Earned Point(s): 0 of 0, (0)
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
The primary coil of a transformer has a current of 0.6 A with a potential difference of 50V. The current in the secondary coil is 30 A. What is the potential difference across the secondary coil?
The secondary coil of a transformer has a current of 6 A with a potential difference of 120V. The voltage in the primary coil is 20 A. What is the current across the primary coil?
What do we call the system of transmission of electricity, from power stations to where it is needed?
Use some of the words to fill in the blanks. You may use each word more than once.
Cooling, heating, higher, lower, current, voltages, less, more
Complete the statements:
- When electrical energy is transferred through transmission lines, some energy is lost through of the wires.
- We can address this problem by using currents and higher .
- When the is smaller energy is wasted through .
What devices do we use to increase and decrease the voltage where necessary for efficient energy transmission?
Voltage is increased using: step transformers
Voltage is decreased using step transformers
Which of the following are correct explanations of the effects of transformers?CorrectIncorrect
Which type of current is used in a transformer?
Use some of the following words to fill in the blanks. You may use each word more than once.
Initial, final, tertiary, primary, turns, secondary, current, voltage, potential difference
Complete the statement about how transformers work
- A transformer consists of two coils – and that are wrapped around an iron core.
- A current is passed through the coil which induces a continuously changing magnetic field.
- This magnetic field induces a magnetic field in the coil.
- The magnetic field causes a to flow through the secondary coil.
- The in the secondary coil is determined by the number of in each coil.
Fill in the blanks, and check the hint if you need to for possible words to use.
Complete the statement.
- Transformers can change the of an voltage
Direct, continuous, alternating, size
What effect does a change in direction of current flowing through a wire have on a magnetic field?CorrectIncorrect
What happens when you reverse the direction of the magnetic field in a transformer?CorrectIncorrect
Which of the following factors affects the size of an induced potential difference in a transformer?CorrectIncorrect