Do you know how atoms decay?
Radioactive Decay Quiz
0 of 5 Questions completed
You have already completed this quiz. You cannot start it again.
Quiz is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this quiz.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 Questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Earned Point(s): 0 of 0, (0)
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
Unstable atomic nuclei emit particles. Match the type of decay to the correct name.
- A neutron changes into a proton and an electron
- A proton becomes a neutron and a positron
- A helium nucleus is emitted
- Beta minus (β-)
- Beta plus (β+)
- Alpha (α)
Use some of the following words/numbers to fill in the blanks. You can use each word/number more than once.
Increases, decreases, atomic, mass, 1, 2, 3, 4
Unstable atomic nuclei emit particles. Complete the following statements about the changes in mass and atomic numbers after different types of decay:
- Beta minus (β-) – number by 1.
- Beta plus (β+) – number by 1.
- Alpha (α) – number decreases by and number decreases by .
- Neutron emission – number by 1
After radioactive decay, unstable atomic nuclei sometimes rearrange themselves to become more stable. What is emitted when this happens?