Do you know what fuel oil is used for?
Hydrocarbons and Fractional Distillation Quiz
0 of 10 Questions completed
You have already completed this quiz. You cannot start it again.
Quiz is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this quiz.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 10 Questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Earned Point(s): 0 of 0, (0)
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
Drag and drop to match the hydrocarbon type with the correct use
- Petrol and diesel
- Fuel oil
- Hydrocarbon gases
- Road and roof surfacing
- Cooking and heating
Finish the sentence: Petrol, kerosene and diesel oil are fossil fuels obtained from crude oil.
Complete the sentence: Methane is a fossil fuel found in natural gas.
Hydrocarbons are compounds that contain which two elements only?CorrectIncorrect
Which of the following statements are correct about crude oil?CorrectIncorrect
Which process do we use to separate crude oil into more useful and simpler mixtures?CorrectIncorrect
Arrange the following steps in the correct order to describe how crude oil is separated into more useful fractions.
- At the top of the column, some gases leave as they have still not condensed.
- Fuel oil leaves second, followed by diesel oil.
- Kerosene condenses and is removed.
- As the vapours rise they cool and different hydrocarbons condense due to their difference in boiling points.
- When hydrocarbons condense they drip into a tray and are removed in pipes.
- Bitumen leaves first since it has the lowest boiling point and the column is hotter at the bottom.
- Crude oil is heated until it evaporates and then is pumped into the bottom of a fractionating column.
- Petrol condenses and is removed.
Hydrocarbons are separated in fractionating columns into fractions with similar properties. Fractions which are not very viscous and so flow easily also ignite easily. Which statement explains how viscosity differs within the column?CorrectIncorrect
Why is bitumen not a good fuel?CorrectIncorrect
Hydrocarbons with the longest carbon chains have the highest boiling points. Where are the fractions with the smallest carbon chains removed in a fractionating column?CorrectIncorrect