Do you know how metals are extracted from ores?
Obtaining and Using Metals Quiz
0 of 11 Questions completed
You have already completed this quiz. You cannot start it again.
Quiz is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this quiz.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 11 Questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Earned Point(s): 0 of 0, (0)
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
Most metals are obtained in what way?CorrectIncorrect
Metals which are unreactive are extracted from the Earth in what way?CorrectIncorrect
What is an ore?CorrectIncorrect
Use some of the following words to fill in the blanks. You can use each word more than once.
Copper, carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, less, more, electrolysis, heating
Complete the statements:
- Metals that are reactive than are extracted through .
- Metals that are reactive than are extracted by in a furnace.
Drag and drop to match the metal to the method of extraction used to obtain it.
- Electrolysis of a molten compound
- Heating an ore with carbon
Drag and drop to match the metal with the ore they are extracted from.
Why are some metals extracted through heating with carbon rather than through electrolysis?CorrectIncorrect
Use the following terms to fill in the blanks. Use each term more than once.
Phytoextraction, bioleaching, both
Match the advantages and disadvantages with the correct method of metal extraction:
- No harmful gases (e.g. sulfur dioxide) are produced –
- Is a very slow process –
- Does not require high temperatures –
- Toxic substances and sulfuric acid which are produced as a byproduct can damage the environment –
- Can be used to extract metals from contaminated soils –
- Is more expensive than mining some ores –
- Growing plants is dependent on weather and climate conditions –
Substances can gain or lose oxygen in Redox reactions. Drag and drop to match the term to the correct process.
- Gain of oxygen
- Loss of oxygen
Many ores are reduced to obtain the metals from them. What does the term reduction mean?CorrectIncorrect
Corrosion happens when a metal reacts with oxygen. Which of the following statements is correct about the speed of corrosion of metals?CorrectIncorrect